A warming and delicious chicken dish. Great for cold or rainy evenings at home.
1 kg – Boneless Chicken Thigh or Breast – chopped into 1 inch pieces
1/2 Bunch of Spinach – roughly chopped
2 Large Onions – finely chopped
4 Cloves of Garlic – pounded into paste
6 Large Tomatoes – blended
1 tbsp – Paprika
2 tsp – Salt
3/4 tsp – Black Pepper
2 tsp – Dried Basil
300ml – Double Cream / Cooking Cream
50g – Parmesan Cheese, grated
1 tbsp – Olive / Vegetable Oil
1. Heat up the oil in a large pot or deep pan.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and the pepper to the raw chicken pieces and fry on a high heat until nicely brown then set aside. (Do this in batches to avoid the chicken steaming and starting to boil.)
3. Turn the heat to medium and sauté the onions & garlic in the same pot until soft and golden brown.
4. Add the blended tomatoes (you can add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar if the tomatoes are too acidic to mellow them out), paprika, dried basil and the rest of the salt.
5. Let the sauce cook for 15 minutes and then add the chopped spinach and fried chicken back in.
6. Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
7. Reduce the heat, add the double cream and parmesan cheese and mix well.
8. After 15 minutes on low heat or when the creamy sauce has thickened, it is ready to serve with polenta, rice, pasta or your favourite side dish.