I made this chicken on a weekday when I needed cheering up and it certainly did that. It was prepared as soon as it got home and marinated overnight. It was definitely worth the wait.
5 Chicken Quarters
1 tbsp Garlic Powder
1 tbsp Oregano
2 Sprigs Of Thyme
1/2 Lemon – sliced
2 tbsp Maziwa Mala – Unsweetened
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Salt
- Mix the salt, spices, herbs, lemons and mala in a bowl to form the marinade.
- Chop the chicken quarters into 2 or 3 or leave whole if desired.
- Put the chicken into the marinade and mix thoroughly.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and chill in the fridge overnight. I used a ziplock bag to save space and washing up.
- Remove the chicken and let it get to room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C.
- Once at room temperature, put the chicken with the lemons into an oiled baking tray.
- Roast in the oven for about 40 minutes or until the juices from the chicken are running clear.
I served the chicken with sautéed carrots and chips with Cayenne pepper sprinkled on top. Extremely satisfying!