A most comforting dish.
500 g Elbow Macaroni (or any other pasta that you prefer)
1 tbp Salt
1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
500 g Ham, chopped into squares
100 g All Purpose Flour
100 g Butter
1 L Milk
250 g Cheddar Cheese, grated
350 g Mozzarella Cheese, grated
1/2 tsp ground Black Pepper
1/2 tsp ground Nutmeg
2 tsp Yellow Mustard
1 bunch Dania (Corriander), chopped
150 g Silver Skin Onions (mini opaque onions in jar)
1 tbsp Granulated Sugar
1 tbsp Water
Mac N’ Cheese:
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan & when hot sauté the ham squares for a couple of minutes, drain and set aside.
- Boil the macaroni & salt until al denté (firm), drain & set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- In a pot, heat up & continuously stir the butter and flour until it becomes a roux.
- Add the milk, a little at a time, to the roux until the mixture is thickened and well homogenized into a white sauce.
- Add the black pepper, nutmeg, yellow mustard, 3/4 of the cheddar & 3/4 of the mozzarella to the white sauce.
- Put the cooked pasta, sautéed ham & white sauce in an oven dish & combine well.
- Mix the remaining grated cheddar & mozzarella cheeses & sprinkle evenly over the mac n’ cheese.
- Put the mac n’ cheese in the preheated oven for 25 – 30 minutes or until the mac n’ cheese is bubbling on the edges & the cheese is golden brown on top.
- Remove the mac n’ cheese and sprinkle the dania over it.
Caramelised Silver Skin Onions:
- Put the sugar and water in a pan & heat until a syrup is formed.
- Add the silver skin onions & cook until they are caramelized.
- Serve the caramelized silver skin onions on top of the mac n’ cheese.
Happy Eating! 😃